The World Superbike championship will continue to visit Imola until at least 2020 after a new deal was confirmed by series organisers.

The new contract sees WorldSBK and Imola extend its current agreement for a further three years and marks the retention of one of the most popular venues on the race calendar. In 2017, Imola attracted over 75,000 fans across the race weekend according to official World Superbike figures which puts it second on the overall attendance list only behind the Thailand round at the Chang International Circuit which hosted over 80,000 fans last year.

The 4.9km circuit has hosted World Superbikes since 2001, missing out on two years of action in 2007 and 2008, and is considered a key calendar fixture which receives backing from Ducati and Italian fans while Aruba.it Racing Ducati rider Chaz Davies has won the past four consecutive races at the track.

“WorldSBK is the leading event in Imola’s calendar since 2009,” Uberto Selvatico Estense, Imola Chairman, said. “We are proud to be considered by Dorna as one of the best and most reliable partners and to continue this fantastic adventure. Our plan is to increase our awareness in the hearts of motorsport’s supporters, in order to attract more people every year to Imola’s motor valley.”

Daniel Carrera, WorldSBK Executive Director, has echoed the Imola Chairman’s comments and is thrilled to secure a contract extension through to 2020.

“Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari di Imola is a circuit which is embedded in WorldSBK history, and is one of the most popular events on the calendar,” Carrera said. “To be returning to the iconic circuit until 2020 is fantastic news for the series, as we visit a circuit that is continuously improving their facilities to host our paddock.”

Imola hosts the next round of the current World Superbike championship on May 11-13 with Jonathan Rea holding a 30-point lead on Davies at the top of the riders’ standings.

Advertisements

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This